2021 SAFF Handcrafter’s Wool Fleece Show
The emphasis of this show is the suitability of fleeces for handspinning and all fleeces will be judges on this basis. SAFF’s goal is to provide a market for the small, or new producer as well as the larger one. We strive to create an atmosphere that emphasizes an exchange of knowledge for the producer and the spinner alike. Judging is open to all SAFF attendees and everyone is encouraged to watch and listen.
TIMES AND LOCATION:
- Show, Sale, and Fleece Check in will be in the EXPO BUILDING.
- Fleeces will be judged Friday, October 22 starting at 9:00 am
- Show Fleece Check-In is Thursday, October 21 from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm. No show fleeces will be accepted on Friday. No exceptions.
- Sale Only Fleece Check-In is Thursday, October 21 from 9:00 am, to 7:30 pm
- Fleeces may be mailed for entry. See Show rules.
- All fleece must be picked up by 6 pm Saturday, October 23.
JUDGE: MaryAnn Johnson
NEW RULES AND CHANGE:
- Show only fleeces are no longer allowed, and pricing changed in order to help better fund the show and reflect pricing in other major fiber festivals.
- Breed classes have been added for the following breeds, Gulf Coast Native, Shetland, Icelandic, Romney, Gotland and Jacob. We are adding Gotland as a separate breed class this year.
- Additionally, all breed classes must have at least 5 fleeces by 2 separate producers to stand alone as a class. If this is not reached, your fleeces will be moved into the appropriate type class for judging.
- For fleeces in breed classes please bring registration paperwork and SAFF may require it to be shown in order to compete in breed classes, if registration cannot be proven fleece will be moved to the appropriate type class.
- For Breed Classes Only, in order to give producers a better look at how their fleeces are performing across breed there will be an increase on the max fleeces entered per producer per class to 5, however, only your top 2 fleeces will receive a premium and ribbon.
- Total fleeces entered per producer across the show will be increased to 12.
LINKS: Manual Entry Form
Saff 2021 Handspinner’s Wool Fleece Show Rules
- NEW RULE– Fleeces must be entered into Show and Sale, Show only fleeces are no longer accepted.
- Fees: Online Registration prior to October 15, $7 per fleece. On-site registration $10 per fleece.
- Pricing for Show/Sale: Sale price is set by the entrant, it should be expressed as price for entire whole or half fleece and should be marked up by 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from an individual fleece. See the FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information
- Methods of Entry:
- Online Registration: priority processing at fleece drop-off. Online Registration will cease operation at 11:00 pm October 15, 2021. After October 15 registration must occur onsite and increased fees will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using Manual Entry Form-“fiber type”. Registration must be received by October 15, 2021. Priority processing at drop-off.
- Onsite Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form-“fiber type” to the EXPO BUILDING, These fleeces have lowest priority, expect a long wait and increased fees to $10.
Mail to Kelsey Foster, 550 Miracle Drive, Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Email to: Fleeceshow@saffsite.org
- All Fleeces must be dropped off at the McGough Building on Thursday between 9:00 am- 7:30 pm. Fleeces for Show must be dropped off on Thursday, No exceptions.
- Mail-in Drop Off: Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Kelsey Foster at the above address. They must be received no later than October 16th. They can be preregistered online or accompanied by a printed Manual Entry Form for their fiber type. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Kelsey Foster if they are not sold. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense.
- Fleece Acceptance: The Fleece Sale Manager reserves the right to pull from the Show or Sale any fleeces with rot, breaks, pests, felting or other serious problems at any time during the show. We also reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Fleece pick up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 6:00 pm on Saturday. Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 6 pm on Saturday, will become property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces.
- Price Changes: Fleece sale price may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. See Wool Show Superintendent for Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once show has begun. On-Site changes can be made at the time of drop-off without forms.
- Refunds: Registration fees are non-refundable
Most be full fleece from one animal; including belly, leg, and neck fiber if it meets criteria of properly skirted (below). If Show/Sale fleece, may not be split in half by SAFF or the producer after competition. Must be sold as full fleece.
Fleeces must be:
- From the current 2020 – 2021 clip.
- Represent no more than 15 months growth.
- Properly skirted—Free of vegetable matter, chaff, burrs, bugs, manure tags, cotted or matted locks, second cuts and excessively dirty fleece. CAUTION: Fleece is also judged on yield.
- Not Washed: No Washed Fleeces will be Accepted.
- Not tied in any way
- Must be properly placed in a clear plastic bag (available for sale at the desk) to be presented for show.
- Should be neatly rolled but not tied.
- Have no other identifying marks on or in bag other than SAFF tags and identification.
- Show/Sale fleece may have promotional material in an unmarked, blank envelope in the fleece bag. Fleece Show Staff will display this material after the competition when fleece is put out for sale.
- Each fleece may be entered in only one class.
- Fleece entries are limited two fleeces per class per Producer with a total overall limit of 7 fleeces per Producer entered in show.
- Classes may be formed, eliminated or combined and awards given at the discretion of the judge. Judge may move a fleece to another class if deemed appropriate. If Judge does move a fleece to another class that results in having 3 fleeces from the same producer in the same class, the producer is still only eligible for two(2) awards in that class. The third lowest ranking fleece will be dropped.
- Judging Criteria – All show fleeces will be judged on the basis of handspinning quality and character.
- Ribbons and premiums will be awarded to winners of each class as follows. For a complete list of classes, see below.
- 1st place-blue ribbon, $20 premium
- 2nd place-red ribbon, $15 premium
- 3rd place-white ribbon, $10 premium
- Reserve Grand Champion Wool fleece will receive a ribbon and $35 premium; Grand Champion Wool fleece will receive a ribbon and $50 premium.
- Premium Awards will be paid out by check and mailed within 30 days after show ends.
- Judging remarks, and ribbons will be given to Producer at checkout/pick up. Judging remarks will also be posted on Producers Fleece registration after the show. Show Winner Results will be posted on the SAFF website following show.
Wool Show Divisions and Classes
There will be three divisions
Division I-White Fleeces
Division II-Natural Colored Fleeces
Division III-Breed Specific Classes
Division I and II will have the following classes:
Fine (e.g., Rambouillet, Cormo, Merino)
Medium (e.g.,Corriedale, Columbia, Tunis, Montadale, Romeldale)
Long (e.g., Romney, Cotswold, Lincoln, Coopworth, Border Leister, Wensleydale)
Primitive/Double Coated (e.g., Shetland, Icelandic, Karakul)
Division III will be breed specific classes for white and natural colored fleeces for the following breeds: Shetland, Icelandic, Jacob, Romney, Gotland and Gulf Coast Native.