SAFF Fiber Arts Competition
The competition has a new name – Fiber Arts Competition! Still the same inspiring and fun competition formerly called the “Skein & Garment Competition”. You’ll receive recognition for your work and gain valuable feedback from the judges. Great opportunity to inspire others and show off your talent. Encourage friends and family to enter!
New for 2019! You may list your entry “For Sale”. No commission fee. Just list your sale price in the appropriate space on the entry card.
Fiber Arts Competition Rules
- Only ONE entry per category will be accepted. Maximum of FOUR entries total for the competition.
- Each entry must be made entirely by the entrant.
- Work must have been completed in the year since the last competition, October 2018.
- There is a $3.00 entry fee per item. Make check payable to: SAFF
- Complete the entry form which includes your personal information, item category number, a brief description of the item, the fiber content of the item by approximate percentage, techniques/processes used in construction. For items entered in a Youth category include the age of the exhibitor as of SAFF 2019.
- You must register your entries by completing the entry form and paying, online or mailing before
Entries will not be excepted at SAFF that have not been pre-registered! Deadline to register with completed
entry form and entry fee is October 23, 2019.
Mail to: Robin Brooks, 99 Upper Moffitt Road, Asheville, NC 28805.
- Registered entries must be dropped off by Friday, October 25 at 12:00 noon – WNC Ag Center, Davis Arena.
Hours for drop off are Thursday 12-5 pm, Friday 9-12pm. Judging will take place on Saturday morning. Entries must
be left on display until pick up at 2 pm Sunday, no exceptions. If you want someone else to pick up your entry,
please complete a release form when you drop off your entry.
- SAFF is not responsible for entries, but the room will be supervised during SAFF hours and locked after closing.
SAFF is not responsible for loss or damage. Any items left after Sunday pickup will become the property of SAFF.
- Your entry item may be submitted by mail but must be received by October 21, 2019.
Mail To: Robin Brooks, 99 Upper Moffitt Road, Asheville, NC 28805. If you want your entry returned by mail,
please include a self-address envelope/box with the correct postage. Your mailed entry must be accompanied
by a Completed Entry Form and $3.00 fee per entry.
- New option for 2019! If you are interested in offering your entry for sale, indicate yes or no on the entry information
Select from the following categories:
- Handspun Single
- Handspun Two Ply
- Handspun Three or More Ply
- Handspun Lace Weight, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
- Spindle Spun Skein, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
- Handspun Novelty/Art Yarn – techniques such as boucle, corespun, locks, etc.
- Novice Spinner (spinning less than one year) single or plied
K1 Hand Knitted Garment Using Handspun Yarn
K2 Hand Knitted Garment Using Commercial Yarn
K3 Hand Knitted Shawl, Scarf, Wrap, etc. Using Handspun Yarn
K4 Hand Knitted Shawl, Scarf, Wrap, etc. Using Commercial Yarn
K5 Hand Knitted Accessory – Hat, Gloves, Purse, Socks, etc. Using Handspun Yarn
K6 Hand Knitted Accessory – Hat, Gloves, Purse, Socks, etc. Using Commercial Yarn
K7 Machine Knitted
C1 Crochet Item Using Handspun Yarn
C2 Crochet Item Using Commercial Yarn
W1 Woven Wearable Item Using Handspun Yarn
W2 Woven Wearable Item Using Commercial Yarn
W3 Woven Household Item Using Handspun Yarn
W4 Woven Household Item Using Commercial Yarn
F1 Needle Felted 2D Item
F2 Needle Felted 3D Item
F3 Wet Felted 2D Item
F4 Wet Felted 3D Item
F5 Knitted or Woven Item That Has Been Felted (Fulled)
RPW1 Wearable Item Using at Least 80% Repurposed Wool (used coats, jackets, skirts, sweaters, etc.) for
the construction. The remaining 20% need not be wool and can be new or used items for construction
RPW2 Non-Wearable Item Using at Least 80% Repurposed Wool (used coats, jackets, skirts, sweaters, etc.)
for the construction. The remaining 20% need not be wool and can be new or used items for
construction and embellishments.
Youth – Aged 17 years old and younger by October 2019. No entry fee for Youth Categories.
Y1 Handspun Yarn Using Wheel or Spindle
Y2 Knitted Item Using Handspun Yarn
Y3 Knitted Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y4 Crochet Item Using Handspun Yarn
Y5 Crochet Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y6 Woven Item Using Handspun (warp may be commercial yarn)
Y7 Woven Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y8 Needle Felted Item
Y9 Wet Felted Item
Ribbons will be awarded for each category for First, Second and Third place. Best of Show will also be
Contest Manager: Robin Brooks
Any questions about the competition should be emailed to Robin at:
Subject Line: SAFF Fiber Arts Competition
The SAFF Fiber Arts Competition Committee welcomes your suggestions, recommendations, and
constructive criticisms. We strive to make this competition enjoyable and inspiring for all involved.
Print and fill out PDF form or fill out web form below.