Welcome to the SAFF Fleece Show and Sale!
The Fleece Sale will open at 11:00 am, Friday October 26th 2018 in the Boone Building, across the courtyard from the Davis Arena.
This year we are adding breed specific shows for wool sheep, an officially sanctioned Alpaca show, and an officially sanctioned Pygora show in addition to offering our Mohair show.
Our goal is for buyers to be able to find the perfect fiber for their projects with ease in addition to ample seating for the judging portion. As always, out Fleece shows are open to the public. Judge, TBA, the Mohair show starting at 11:00 am Friday. Judge, TBA, the Wool show starting at 2:00 pm Friday. Judge, TBA, for SAFF’s Pygora Breeder’s Association sanctioned show. Starting 1 pm Friday. We will also be continuing the tradition of auctioning the class and overall winners so all buyers have a chance to see and purchase a winning fleece (See Silent Auction below).
New This Year!
2018 SAFF Handcrafter’s Camelid 2 ounce Fleece Show. Fleeces will be judged beginning Friday, October 26th 2018. Go to the Show page for more information!
Sheep Breed Shows! Due to an increase in certain wool breeds in show we have decided to break off some of the more popular breeds into their own show. These breeds include, Icelandic, Shetland, Gulf Coast Native, Romney, Gotland and Jacob. See Wool Show page for details
The silent auction will include Wool, Mohair, and Pygora. Participation is limited to those that won Grand Champion, Reserve Champion, and 1st place class winners in the Wool, Mohair, and Pygora shows.
Here’s how it works: As soon as judging is completed we will place the winning fleeces that are for sale in the designated area. Each will have a bid sheet that will list the opening bid as the Producer’s price. This price will also be the 1st bidder’s bid. Subsequent bidders may bid in increments of no less than $2.00. The Silent Auction will be on display until 4:00 pm, Saturday, October 27th. At that time, we will process the winning bids as soon as possible and notify the winners by cell phone. Fleeces may be purchased and picked up at that time. Sale Fleece that is not bid on will be put into general sale.
We look forward to seeing you at the show!
SAFF 2018 Handcrafters’ Fleece Sale Rules and Guidelines
Change Highlights For This Year:
- All Fleeces must be entered into Sale, no longer excepting fleeces for Show only
- Show Fleeces must be at SAFF by Thursday at 7:30 pm
- Sale only Fleeces must be at SAFF by Friday at 10:30 am
- Adding Sheep Breed Specific Fleece Shows
- Pricing and registration time frame changes.
- Sale Only Fleeces: Both full and half fleeces will be accepted in the Sale. Alpaca fleece is defined as a full or half blanket.
- Fleeces Accepted: All types of animal fleece may be accepted for Sale Only as long as it is legal to do so in the state of NC. Wool, Mohair, Alpaca, Pygora, and Llama are examples of such fleeces. Angora fleeces may be sold in a bag containing a reasonable project size amount of fiber. See FAQ page for more information.
- Fees: If you register online or by-mail prior to October 18th, 2018 entry fee is $4:00 per fleece, if you register onsite on Thursday or Friday, entry fee is $10.00 per fleece.
- Pricing: Sale price is set by the entrant should be express as price for whole or half fleece, and should be marked up by the 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from an individual fleece. See FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information regarding fleece price and calculation.
- Methods of Entry:
- Online Registration: priority processing at fleece drop-off. Online Registration will cease operation at 11:00 pm October 18th, 2018. After October 18th registration must occur onsite and increased fees will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using Manual Entry Form-“fiber type”. Registration must be received by October 18, 2018. Priority processing at drop-off.
- Onsite Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form-“fiber type” to the Boone Building, These fleeces have lowest priority, expect a long wait and increased fees to $10.
Mail to Fallon Newell
949 Calvert Rd
Brevard, NC 28712
Email to: email@example.com
- All Fleeces must be dropped off at the Boone Building on Thursday between 9:00 am- 7:30 pm and Friday between 8:00 am and 10:30 am
- Mail-in Drop Off: Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Fallon Newell at the above address. They must be received no later than October 18th They can be preregistered online or accompanied by a printed Manual Entry Form for their fiber type. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Fallon Newell if they are not sold. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense.
- Fleece Preparation:
- For Wool, Mohair and Pygora- From the current clip (2017-2018) and represent no more than 15 months growth.
- For Alpaca-From the current clip (2017-2018) or the previous year’s clip (2016-2017) representing no more than 15 months growth.
- Unwashed, washed fleeces will be rejected
- Properly skirted for processing, free of excessive vegetable matter, manure tags, second cuts, and pests. We reserve the right to reject any fleece deemed unsuitable for processing as presented.
- Should be neatly presented for show,–not tied—in a clear or white plastic bag that is contains it comfortably without excessive strain.
Alpaca fleece may contain corresponding seconds, but should be bagged separately inside the regular fleece. Seconds only will not be accepted.
- Fleece Acceptance: The Fleece Sale Manager reserves the right to pull from the Show or Sale any fleeces with rot, breaks, pests, felting or other serious problems at any time during the show. We also reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Fleece Promotion: Entrants may place promotional materials in with fleece, and are encouraged to do so. See FAQ’s for more information.
- Price Changes: Prices may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. See front desk for a Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once the show has begun, On-site changes can be made at the time of drop off without form.
- Show/Sale Fleece Pick Up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 5:00 pm on Sunday, Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT Picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 5:00 pm, Sunday will become the property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces.
- Refunds: There will be no refunding of entry fees for any circumstance.
- Sale Proceeds: Entrants will receive a check via mail for their fleece sales within 30 days of SAFF. Please make sure your contact information is complete and correct.