2021 SAFF Handcrafter’s Mohair Fleece Show
The emphasis of this show is the suitability of fleeces for handspinning and all fleeces will be judges on this basis. SAFF’s goal is to provide a market for the small, or new producer as well as the larger one. We strive to create an atmosphere that emphasizes an exchange of knowledge for the producer and the spinner alike. Judging is open to all SAFF attendees and everyone is encouraged to watch and listen.
TIMES AND LOCATION:
- Show, Sale, and Fleece Check in will be in the McGough Building.
- Fleeces will be judged Friday, October 22 starting at 11:00 am
- Show Fleece Check-In is Thursday, October 21 from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm. No show fleeces will be accepted on Friday. No exceptions.
- Sale Only Fleece Check-In is Thursday, October 21 from 9:00 am to 7:30 pm
- Fleeces may be mailed for entry. See Show rules.
- All fleece must be picked up by 6:00 pm Saturday, October 23.
JUDGE: Eliana Kenyon
NEW RULES AND CHANGE: Show only fleeces are no longer allowed, and pricing changed in order to help better fund the show and reflect pricing in other major fiber festivals. Unsold fleeces to be picked up by Saturday, 6 pm.
LINKS: Manual entry form
Saff 2021 Handspinner’s Mohair Fleece Show Rules
- NEW RULE– Fleeces must be entered into Show and Sale, Show only fleeces are no longer accepted.
- Fees: Online Registration prior to October 16th, $7 per fleece. On-site registration $10 per fleece.
- Pricing for Show/Sale: Sale price is set by the entrant, it should be expressed as price for entire whole or half fleece and should be marked up by 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from an individual fleece. See the FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information
- Methods of Entry:
- Online Registration: priority processing at fleece drop-off. Online Registration will cease operation at 11:00 pm October 15, 2021. After October 15 registration must occur onsite and increased fees will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using Manual Entry Form-“fiber type”. Registration must be received by October 16, 2020. Priority processing at drop-off.
- Onsite Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form-“fiber type” to the McGough Building, These fleeces have lowest priority, expect a long wait and increased fees to $10.
Mail to: Kelsey Foster, 550 Miracle Drive, Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All Fleeces must be dropped off at the McGough Building on Thursday between 9:00 am- 7:30 pm. Fleeces for Show must be dropped off on Thursday, No exceptions.
- Mail-in Drop Off Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Kelsey Foster at the above address. They must be received no later than October 15th. They can be preregistered online or accompanied by a printed Manual Entry Form for their fiber type. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Kelsey Foster if they are not sold. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense.
- Fleece Acceptance: The Fleece Sale Manager reserves the right to pull from the Show or Sale any fleeces with rot, breaks, pests, felting or other serious problems at any time during the show. We also reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Fleece pick up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 6:00 pm on Saturday. Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 6:00 pm Saturday, will become property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces.
- Price Changes: Fleece sale price may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. See Mohair Show Superintendent for Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once show has begun. On-Site changes can be made at the time of drop-off without forms.
- Refunds: Registration fees are non-refundable
Most be full fleece from one animal; including belly, leg, and neck fiber if it meets criteria of properly skirted (below). If Show/Sale fleece, may not be split in half by SAFF or the producer after competition. Must be sold as full fleece.
Fleeces must be:
- From the current 2021 clip.
- Represent no more than 6 months growth.
- Properly skirted—Free of vegetable matter, chaff, burrs, bugs, manure tags, cotted or matted locks, second cuts and excessively dirty fleece. CAUTION: Fleece is also judged on yield.
- Not Washed: No Washed Fleeces will be Accepted.
- Not tied in any way
- Must be properly placed in a clear plastic bag (available for sale at the desk) to be presented for show. Mohair fleeces do not have to be rolled.
- Have no other identifying marks on or in bag other than SAFF tags and identification.
- Show/Sale fleece may have promotional material in an unmarked, blank envelope in the fleece bag. Fleece Show Staff will display this material after the competition when fleece is put out for sale.
- Each fleece may be entered in only one class.
- Fleece entries are limited two fleeces per class per Producer with a total overall limit of 12 fleeces per Producer entered in show.
- Classes may be formed, eliminated or combined and awards given at the discretion of the judge. Judge may move a fleece to another class if deemed appropriate. If Judge does move a fleece to another class that results in having 3 fleeces from the same producer in the same class, the producer is still only eligible for two (2) awards in that class. The third lowest ranking fleece will be dropped.
- Judging Criteria – All show fleeces will be judged on the basis of handspinning quality and character, stressing the following:
- Fineness of fiber: uniform throughout fleece.
- Feel and Handle: Amount of course fiber, kemp, or medullated fiber.
- Staple Length: Evenness throughout fleece.
- Twist and Crimp: well defined and uniform.
- Strength: No faults or breaks.
- Appearance: Brightness, luster, amount of grease.
- Yield and Density: Compactness of fleece combined with length equal weight of fleece. Higher yielding fleeces most desirable.
- Ribbons and premiums will be awarded to winners of each class as follows. For a complete list of classes, see below.
- 1st place-blue ribbon, $20 premium
- 2nd place-red ribbon, $15 premium
- 3rd place-white ribbon, $10 premium
- Reserve Grand Champion Mohair fleece will receive a ribbon and $35 premium; Grand Champion Mohair fleece will receive a ribbon and $50 premium.
- Premium Awards will be paid out by check and mailed within 30 days after show ends.
- Judging remarks, and ribbons will be given to Producer at checkout/pick up. Judging remarks will also be posted on Producers Fleece registration after the show. Show Winner Results will be posted on the SAFF website following show.
200 – Kid (1st clip) White
201 – Kid (1st Clip) Colored
202 – Kid (2nd Clip) White
203 – Kid (2nd Clip) Colored
204 – Yearling White
205 – Yearling Colored
206 – Adult White
207 – Adult Colored