The emphasis of this show is the suitability of fleeces for hand spinning, and all fleeces will be judged on this basis. SAFF’s goal is to provide a market for the small, or new, Producer as well as the large one. We strive to create an atmosphere that emphasis an exchange of knowledge for the Producer and the Spinner alike. Judging is open to all SAFF attendees and everyone is encouraged to watch and listen.
TIMES AND LOCATION:
- Show, Sale, and Fleece Check in will be in our own building – BOONE BUILDING.
- Fleeces will be judged Friday October 28, beginning at 1:00 p.m.
- Fleece Check-In is Thursday October 27 from 9:00 am until 6:00 pm, and Friday October 28 from 8:30 am until 10:30 am. No exceptions.
- Fleeces may be mailed for entry. See show rules.
- All Fleece must be picked up by 5:00 pm Sunday, October 30.
BETH SMITH, spinner, teacher, and author of “The Spinner’s Book of Fleece: A Breed-by-Breed Guide to Choosing and Spinning the Perfect Fiber for Every Purpose”, will be our Wool Judge for this year’s show. Welcome Beth!
NEW RULES AND CHANGES:
- In efforts to increase the accuracy and reliability in our show’s fleece presentation, we will be implementing a policy of stricter adherence to the generally accepted fleece classification standards.
- Minor updates to the on-line registration site. Fleece weight will be standardized and expressed in pounds and ounces. Please note: Pricing of fleece has not changed. It should be listed for the entire whole or half fleece; not in pound/ounce increments.
Links: Manual Entry Form – Wool
FAQs for Fleece Producers
SAFF 2016 WOOL SHOW RULES
- Show Only or Show/Sale: Fleeces may be entered in the show as: a) Show Only or, b) Show AND Sale.
- Fees: Standard fee for show is $5 per fleece. Early Bird Discount: If registered, and paid, prior to October 8, 2016, the fee will be $4. Fleece registered after October 24, 2016, but before 6 pm Oct 27, 2016 will have the fee doubled, or $10 per entry. After 6pm October 27, 2016, fleece must be manually registered On-Site at triple the fee – $15. Or:
|Prior to October 8, 2016||$4.00 per fleece|
|Between October 8 – October 24, 2016||$5.00 per fleece|
|Between October 25 – October 27, 2016 at 6 pm||$10.00 per fleece|
|On-Site||$15.00 per fleece|
- Pricing for Show/Sale: Sale price set by the entrant should be expressed as price for entire whole or half fleece and should be marked up by the 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from an individual fleece. See the FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information regarding fleece price and calculation.
- Methods of Entry:
- On-line Registration: (see link in fleece show drop down menu), priority processing at fleece drop-off, early bird discount. On-Line registration will cease operation at 6:00 pm, Thursday, October 27, 2016. Registrations must occur manually On-Site and triple the fee ($15) per fleece will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using the Manual Entry Form – Wool. Registration must be received by October 22, 2016. If registration received by October 8, 2016, Early Bird Discount will apply. Priority processing at fleece drop-off.
Mail to: Sherri Hayes
1207 Posey Blanton Rd.
Sylva, NC 28779
Email to: email@example.com.
- On-Site Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form – Wool to the Boone Building. These fleeces will have the lowest priority. Expect a wait and to have fee tripled to $15 each fleece.
- Drop-Off: All fleece must be dropped off at the Boone Building during these times – No exceptions. Thursday – October 27, 2016 – 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday – October 28, 2016 – 8:00 am to 10:30 am. No exceptions.
- Mail-In Drop-Off: Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Sherri Hayes at the above address. They must be received no later than October 22, 2016. They can be preregistered online or accompanied by printed manual registration Manual Entry Form – Wool. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Sherri Hayes. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense.
- Competition/Silent Auction: Champion, Reserve Champion, and 1st place winners in each class in the Wool show that are being offered for sale will be put up for silent auction after the judging. We will display them together to accept bids. The starting bid is the producer’s asking price. Bidding will close at 4:00 pm on Saturday. Any winners that are not for sale should be left with us for display until Saturday at 4:00 pm. Any Sale fleece not sold under silent auction will be put up for sale in general population.
- Show Only Pick Up: All fleeces entered “Show Only” that placed Champion, Reserve Champion, and 1st Place in competition must remain on display during the Silent Auction to allow for public viewing. They will be available for pickup after 4:00 pm on Saturday. Any other “Show Only” fleeces can be picked up at any time after competition, but must be picked up by 5:00 pm, Sunday October 30. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Show/Sale Fleece Pick Up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 5:00 pm on Sunday October 30, 2016. Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 5:00 pm, Sunday, October 30 will become the property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces. We reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Price Changes: For Show/Sale Fleeces, prices may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. For those fleeces going to the silent auction, price must be changed prior to going on display. See Wool Show Super-intendent for Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once show has begun. On-Site changes can be made at the time of drop-off without form.
- Refunds: All registration correction refunds of entry fee will be done after the show, during reconciliation of sales.
- All show fleeces will be judged on the basis of handspinning quality and character, stressing cleanliness, strength and uniformity.
- Fleeces must be:
- Must be full fleece from one animal. If Show/Sale fleece, may not be split in half by SAFF or producer after competition. Must be sold as full fleece.
- From the current (2015-2016) wool clip and represent no more than fifteen months of growth.
- NO WASHED FLEECES WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Properly skirted – free of Vegetable matter, chaff, burrs, bugs, manure tags, cotted or matted locks, second cuts, keds, and pests. As clean as possible.
- Should be neatly rolled, not tied, and placed in a clear plastic bag (available for sale at desk) that is neither too large, nor too small to contain it comfortably.
- Have no other identifying marks on or in bag other than SAFF tags and identification.
- Show/Sale Fleece may have promotional material in an unmarked, blank envelope in the fleece bag. Fleece Show Staff will display this material after the competition when fleece is put out for sale.
- Fleeces must be entered in the name of the actual producer who is responsible for ensuring all entry forms are filled out completely and fleeces are presented ready for show.
- Each fleece may be entered in only one class.
- Fleece entries are limited two fleeces per class per Producer with a total overall limit of 7 fleeces per Producer entered in show.
- Judge or Super-Intendent may disqualify any fleece from show. Explanation will be noted.
- Classes may be formed, eliminated or combined and awards given at the discretion of the judge. Judge or Super-Intendent may move a fleece to another class if deemed appropriate. If Judge does move a fleece to another class that results in having 3 fleeces from the same producer in the same class, the producer is still only eligible for two(2) awards in that class. The third lowest ranking fleece will be dropped.
- Ribbons and premiums will be awarded to winners of each class as follows:
- 1st place-blue ribbon, $20 premium
- 2nd place-red ribbon, $15 premium
- 3rd place-white ribbon, $10 premium
- Reserve Grand Champion will receive a pink rosette and $35 premium; Grand Champion will receive a purple rosette and $50 premium.
- Premium awards will be paid out by check and mailed within 30 days after the show ends.
- Judging remarks and ribbons will be given to Producer at checkout/pickup. Judging remarks will be posted On-Line on Producers Fleece registration after the show. Show Winner Results will be posted on the SAFF website following show.
Divisions and Classes:
There will be two divisions:
Division I-white fleeces
Division II– naturally colored fleeces
Each division will have the following classes:
Fine (e.g., Rambouillet, Cormo, Merino)
Medium (e.g., Corriedale, Columbia, Tunis, Montadale, Romeldale)
Long (e.g., Romney, Cotswold, Lincoln, Coopworth, Border Leicester, Wensleydale)
Primitive/Double Coated (e.g., Shetland, Jacob, Icelandic, Karakul)