The emphasis of this show is the suitability of fleeces for hand spinning and all fleeces will be judged on this basis. SAFF’s goal is to provide a market for the small, or new, Producer as well as the larger one. We strive to create an atmosphere that emphasis an exchange of knowledge for the Producer and the Spinner alike. Judging is open to all SAFF attendees and everyone is encouraged to watch and listen.
TIMES AND LOCATION:
- Show, Sale, and Fleece Check in will be in be in our own building – BOONE BUILDING.
- Fleeces will be judged Friday October 28, beginning at 11:00 am.
- Fleece Check-In is Thursday October 27 from 9:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. and Friday October 28 from 8:30 am until 10:30 am. No exceptions.
- Fleeces may be mailed for entry. See show rules.
- All Fleece must be picked up by 5:00 pm Sunday, October 30.
Bonnie Naumann of Medina, TX is back as our Mohair Judge for this year’s show. Bonnie’s wealth of knowledge brings great consistency to our show. Welcome Bonnie.
NEW RULES AND CHANGE
Minor updates to the on-line registration site. Fleece weight will be standardized and expressed in pounds and ounces. Please note: Pricing of fleece has not changed. It should be listed for the entire whole or half fleece; not in pound/ounce increments.
LINKS: Manual Entry Form – Mohair
FAQ’s For Producers
SAFF 2016 Handspinners’ Mohair Fleece Show Rules
- Show Only or Show/Sale: Fleeces may be entered in the show as: a) Show Only or, b) Show AND Sale.
- Fees: Standard fee for show is $5 per fleece. Early Bird Discount: If registered, and paid, prior to October 8, 2016, the fee will be $4. Fleece registered after October 24, 2016, but before 6 pm Oct 27, 2016 will have the fee doubled, or $10 per entry. After October 27, 2016 registration must occur manually On-Site at triple the fee – $15. Or:
|Prior to October 8, 2016||$4.00 per fleece|
|Between October 8 – October 24, 2016||$5.00 per fleece|
|Between October 25 – October 27, 2015, 6 pm||$10.00 per fleece|
|On-Site||$15.00 per fleece|
- Pricing for Show/Sale: Sale price set by the entrant should be express as price for entire whole or half fleece and should be marked up by the 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from an individual fleece. See the FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information.
- Methods of Entry:
- On-line Registration: (see link in fleece show drop down menu), priority processing at fleece drop-off, early bird discount. On-Line registration will cease operation at 6:00 pm, Thursday, October 29, 2015. Registration must occur manually On-Site and triple the fee ($15) per fleece will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using Manual Entry Form – Mohair. Registration must be received by October 22, 2016. If registration received by October 8, 2016, Early Bird Discount will apply. Priority processing at fleece drop-off.
Mail to: Sherri Hayes
1207 Posey Blanton Rd.
Sylva, NC 28779
Email to: [email protected].
- On-Site Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form – Mohair to the Boone Building. These fleeces will have the lowest priority. Expect a wait and to have fee tripled to $15 each fleece.
- Drop-Off: All fleece must be dropped off at the Boone Building during these times – No exceptions. Thursday – October 27, 2016 – 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday – October 28, 2016 – 8:00 am to 10:30 am. No exceptions.
- Mail-In Drop-Off: Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Sherri Hayes at the above address. They must be received no later than October 22, 2016. They can be preregistered online or accompanied by a printed Manual Entry Form – Mohair. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Sherri Hayes. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense.
- Fleece Acceptance: The Fleece Sale Manager reserves the right to pull from the Show or Sale any fleeces with rot, breaks, pests, felting or other serious problems at any time during the show. We also reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Competition/Silent Auction: Champion, Reserve Champion and 1st Place Winners of each class in the Mohair show that are being offered for sale will be put up for silent auction after the judging. We will display them together to accept bids. The starting bid is the producer’s asking price. Bidding will close at 4:00 pm on Saturday. Any winners that are not for sale should be left with us for display until Saturday at 4:00 pm. Any Sale fleece not sold under silent auction will be put up for sale in general population.
- Show Only Pick Up: All fleeces entered “Show Only” that placed Champion, Reserve Champion, or 1st place in competition must remain on display during the Silent Auction to allow for public viewing. They will be available for pickup after 4:00 pm on Saturday. Any other “Show Only” fleeces can be picked up at any time after competition, but must be picked up by 5:00 pm, Sunday October 30. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Show/Sale Fleece Pick Up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 5:00 pm on Sunday October 30, 2016. Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 5:00 pm, Sunday, October 30 will become the property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces.
- Price Changes: For Show/Sale Fleeces, prices may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. For those fleeces going to the silent auction, price must be changed prior to going on display. See Mohair Show Superintendent for Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once show has begun. On-Site changes can be made at the time of drop-off without form.
- Refunds: All registration correction refunds of entry fee will be done after the show, during reconciliation of sales.
- Must be full fleece from one animal; including belly, leg, and neck fiber if it meets criteria of properly skirted (below). If Show/Sale fleece, may not be split in half by SAFF or producer after competition. Must be sold as full fleece.
- Fleeces must be:
- Fleeces must be from the current 2016 clip.
- Represent no more than 6 months growth.
- Properly skirted – Free of vegetable matter, chaff, burrs, bugs, manure tags, cotted or matted locks, second cuts, and excessively dirty fleece. CAUTION: Fleece is also judged on yield.
- Not washed: NO WASHED FLEECES WILL BE ACCEPTED.
- Not tied in any way.
- Must be properly placed in a clear plastic bag (available for sale at the desk) to be presented for show. Mohair fleeces do not have to be rolled.
- Have no other identifying marks on or in bag other than SAFF tags and identification.
- Show/Sale Fleece may have promotional material in an unmarked, blank envelope in the fleece bag. Fleece Show Staff will display this material after the competition when fleece is put out for sale.
- Fleeces must be entered in the name of the actual producer who is responsible for ensuring all entry forms are filled out completely and fleeces are presented ready for show.
- Each fleece may be entered in only one class.
- Fleece entries are limited two fleeces per class per Producer with a total overall limit of 7 fleeces per Producer entered in show.
- Classes may be formed, eliminated or combined and awards given at the discretion of the judge. Judge may move a fleece to another class if deemed appropriate. If Judge does move a fleece to another class that results in having 3 fleeces from the same producer in the same class, the producer is still only eligible for two(2) awards in that class. The third lowest ranking fleece will be dropped.
- Judging Criteria – All show fleeces will be judged on the basis of handspinning quality and character, stressing the following:
- Fineness of fiber: uniform throughout fleece.
- Feel and Handle: Amount of course fiber, kemp, or medullated fiber.
- Staple Length: Evenness throughout fleece.
- Twist and Crimp: well defined and uniform.
- Strength: No faults or breaks.
- Appearance: Brightness, luster, amount of grease.
- Yield and Density: Compactness of fleece combined with length equal weight of fleece. Higher yielding fleeces most desirable.
- Ribbons and premiums will be awarded to winners of each class as follows. For a complete list of classes, see below.
- 1st place-blue ribbon, $20 premium
- 2nd place-red ribbon, $15 premium
- 3rd place-white ribbon, $10 premium
- Reserve Grand Champion Mohair fleece will receive a ribbon and $35 premium; Grand Champion Mohair fleece will receive a ribbon and $50 premium.
- Premium Awards will be paid out by check and mailed within 30 days after show ends.
- Judging remarks, and ribbons will be given to Producer at checkout/pick up. Judging remarks will also be posted on Producers Fleece registration after the show. Show Winner Results will be posted on the SAFF website following show.
200 – Kid (1st clip) White
201 – Kid (1st Clip) Colored
202 – Kid (2nd Clip) White
203 – Kid (2nd Clip) Colored
204 – Yearling White
205 – Yearling Colored
206 – Adult White
207 – Adult Colored