Skein, Garment & Fiber Art
Passion for All Things Fiber?
Share your passion for fiber by entering the SAFF Skein & Garment Competition. You’ll receive recognition for your work and gain valuable feedback. Great opportunity to show off your work!
Skein, Garment and Fiber Art Competition Rules
- Only ONE entry per category will be accepted from each entrant. Handspinning entries must meet class descriptions as to fiber content and weight (see note below).
- Each entry must be made entirely by the entrant.
- Work must have been completed in the year since the last competition, October 2015.
- There is a $2.00 entry fee per item.
- Complete the Entry Form which includes your personal information and your item description and category. Indicate your category number, a brief description of the item (i.e. wall hanging, rug, sweater); the fiber content of the item by approximate percentage; techniques used in construction. For items entered in a Youth category include the age of the exhibitor as of SAFF 2016.
- Deadline to receive Completed Entry Form, Fee & Index Cards is October 15, 2016. Mail To: Robin Brooks, 99 Upper Moffitt Road, Asheville, NC
- Entries must be dropped off by Friday evening October 28, 2016 – WNC Ag Center, Davis Arena. Hours for drop off are Thursday 2-8pm, Friday 9-6pm. Judging will take place on Saturday morning. Entries must be left on display until pick up at 2pm Sunday. If you need to send another person to pick up your entry, please include a release form which is found on the website.
- SAFF is not responsible for entries, but the booth will be supervised during SAFF hours. SAFF is not responsible for loss or damage. Any items left after Sunday pickup will become the property of SAFF.
- Your Entry Item may be submitted by mail but must be received by October 1, 2016. Make your check payable to SAFF and each item must have a $2.00 entry fee. These entries will be confirmed my email only, so please include your email address. Mail To: Robin Brooks, 99 Upper Moffitt Road, Asheville, NC 28805. If you want your entry returned by mail, please include a self-address envelope/box with the correct postage. Each mailed entry must be accompanied by:
- Completed Entry Form
- Attach two completed white 3 x 5 index cards for each entry and $2.00 fee per entry
On the first 3 x 5 white index card (print clearly):
The entry category number
A brief description of the item (i.e. felted wall hanging, lap rug, etc.)
The fiber content of the item by approximate percentage (if it is wool, the breed if known).
The techniques used in construction
Information about processes you used (i.e. self-dyed, self-prepared/carded, self-blended, self-designed, etc.)
On the second 3 x 5 white index card (print clearly):
Your name, address and telephone.
This information will be used by the judge to help make decisions, so please be sure you include all the information requested on your card. You will be given an exhibitor number when you enter your item. Your exhibitor number will be written on both cards.
- Note: For handspun skeins:
The intended use
The Wraps per Inch (Wrap the yarn around a ruler for a full inch. Then count the wraps.)
The fiber content
Techniques used to prepare the fiber
Ribbons will be awarded for each category for First, Second and Third place. A rosette prize ribbon will be awarded in Best of Show for each of the three sections: Adult Amateur, Adult Professional and Youth.
Adult Amateur Category:
A1 Handspun Single
A2 Handspun Two Ply
A3 Handspun Lace Weight, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
A4 Spindle Spun Skein, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
A5 Handspun Novelty Yarn
A6 Hand Knitted Item Using Handspun Yarn
A7 Hand Knitted Item Using Commercial Yarn
A8 Machine Knitted
A9 Crochet Item Using Handspun Yarn
A10 Crochet Item Using Commercial Yarn
A11 Woven Wearable Item
A12 Woven Household Item
A13 Needle Felted 2D Item
A14 Needle Felted 3D Item
A15 Wet Felted 2D Item
A16 Wet Felted 3D Item
A17 Beginner Spinner (less than one year)
Adult Professional Category: Professional is a person who has sold 10 or more items to consumers, earned an advanced degree, is a nationally recognized instructor, and/or published author.
P1 Handspun Single
P2 Handspun Two Ply
P3 Handspun Lace Weight, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
P4 Spindle Spun Skein, minimum 1 oz. or 25 yds.
P5 Handspun Novelty Yarn
P6 Hand Knitted Item Using Handspun Yarn
P7 Hand Knitted Item Using Commercial Yarn
P8 Machine Knitted
P9 Crochet Item Using Handspun Yarn
P10 Crochet Item Using Commercial Yarn
P11 Woven Wearable Item
P12 Woven Household Item
P13 Needle Felted 2D Item
P14 Needle Felted 3D Item
P15 Wet Felted 2D Item
P16 Wet Felted 3D Item
Youth Category: Aged 10 – 17 years old by October 2016. No fee for Youth Category.
Y1 Handspun Yarn Using Wheel or Spindle
Y2 Woven Item Using Handspun (warp may be commercial yarn)
Y3 Woven Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y4 Knitted Item Using Handspun Yarn
Y5 Knitted Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y6 Crochet Item Using Handspun Yarn
Y7 Crochet Item Using Commercial Yarn
Y8 Needle Felted Item
Y9 Wet Felted Item
Contest Manager: Robin Brooks
Any questions about the competition should be emailed to Robin at:
Subject Line: Skein, Garment & Fiber Art Competition
The SAFF Skein, Garment & Fiber Art Committee welcomes your suggestions, recommendations, and constructive criticisms. We strive to make this competition enjoyable and worthwhile for all involved.