Please check back Mid-June. Fleece show pages have not been updated
WELCOME TO THE 2016 SAFF HANDCRAFTERS’ FLEECE SHOW & SALE!
The Fleece Sale will open at 11:00 am, Friday, October 28, 2016, in our own location – the Boone Building, just across the courtyard from the Davis Arena.
This year are focus is settling into our new building. We are working on our judging spaces by creating a separate judging area for the Mohair Show, and provide ample seating. We will also introduce a new way of handling our Alpaca fleece by grading and sorting the Alpaca Fleece similar to how wool is presented. Our goal is to present all fleece in a consistent manner so that spinners will find it easier to go to the type of fleece they are looking for. We are also setting aside a particular space for fleeces that are new to us, unique, or we feel stand out in some way.
As always, our Fleece Shows are open to the public and will start when we open on Friday. Bonnie Naumann will judge our Mohair show starting at 11:00 am, and Beth Smith, author of “The Spinner’s Book of Fleece: A Breed-by-Breed Guide to Choosing and Spinning the Perfect Fiber for Every Purpose” will judge our Wool Show starting at 1:00 pm. We will also continue the Silent Auction (see below) for winning Show Fleeces so all buyers have a chance to see and purchase a prize winning fleece.
The Silent Auction will include wool and mohair. Participation is limited to those fleeces for sale that win Champion, Reserve Champion, and 1st place class winners in the Wool, and Mohair Shows.
Here’s how it works: As soon as judging is complete, we will place the winning fleeces that are for sale in the designated area. Each will have a bid sheet that will list the opening bid as the Producer’s price. This price will also be the 1st bidder’s bid. Subsequent bidders may bid in increments of no less than $2.00. The Silent Auction will be on display until 4:00 pm, Saturday October 29th. At that time, we will process the winning bids as soon as possible and notify the winners by cell phone. Fleeces may be purchased and picked up at that time. Sale Fleece that is not bid on will be put into general sale.
We look forward to seeing you at the show!
SAFF 2016 Handcrafters’ Fleece Sale Rules and Guidelines
Change Highlights For This Year:
- Expanded Alpaca fleece acceptance to current year and prior year’s clip. Still must be current year for Wool and Mohair.
- All Alpaca fleece for sale will be sorted and graded to categorize fleece similar to the way wool is separated to highlight spinning and processing characteristics – see Alpaca Show webpage for explanation of grades, etc.
- Overall stricter adherence of grade standards and show requirements.
- Sale Only Fleeces: Both full and half fleeces will be accepted in the Sale. Alpaca fleece is defined as full blanket or half blanket
- Fleeces Accepted: All types of animal fleece may be accepted for Sale Only as long as it is legal to do so in the state of NC. Wool, Mohair, Alpaca, Angora, llama are examples of such fleeces. Angora fleeces may be sold in a bag containing a reasonable project sized amount of fiber. See link for FAQ page for more information.
- Fees: Standard fee for Sale Only is $2 per fleece. Early Bird Discount: If registered, and paid, prior to October 8, 2016, the fee will be $1. Fleece registered after October 24, 2016 but before 6 pm October 27, 2016 will have the fee doubled, or $4 per entry. After 6 pm October 27, 2016, all fleeces must be registered On-Site and will incur triple fees, or $6 per fleece. Or:
|Prior to October 8, 2016||$1.00 per fleece|
|Between October 8 – October 24, 2016||$2.00 per fleece|
|Between October 25 – October 27, 2016 at 6 pm||$4.00 per fleece|
|On-Site||$6.00 per fleece|
- Pricing: Sale price set by the entrant should be expressed as price for entire whole or half fleece, and should be marked up by the 15% commission collected by SAFF. SAFF will not calculate fleece price, nor sell increments of fiber from and individual fleece. See the link for FAQ’s for Fleece Producers for more information regarding fleece price and calculation.
- Methods of Entry:
- On-line Registration: (see link in fleece show drop down menu), priority processing at fleece drop-off, early bird discount. On-Line registration will cease operation at 6:00 pm, Thursday, October 27, 2016. After 6:00 pm October 27, 2016, registration must occur On-Site and triple fee per fleece ($6) will apply.
- Mail in Registration: using Manual Entry Form-“fiber type”. Registration must be received by October 24, 2016. If registration received by October 8, 2016, Early Bird Discount will apply. Priority processing at fleece drop-off.
Mail to: Sherri Hayes
1207 Posey Blanton Rd.
Sylva, NC 28779
Email to: [email protected].
- On-Site Registration: by bringing a filled out Manual Entry Form-“fiber type” to the Boone Building. These fleeces will have the lowest priority. Expect a wait and to have fee tripled to $6 each fleece.
- Drop-Off: All fleece must be dropped off at the Boone Building during these times:
Thursday – October 27, 2016 – 9:00 am to 6:00 pm
Friday – October 28, 2016 – 8:00 am to 10:30 am. No exceptions.
- Mail-In Drop-Off: Fleeces may be mailed/shipped to Sherri Hayes at the above address. They must be received no later than October 22, 2016. They can be preregistered online or accompanied by a printed Manual Entry Form-“fiber type”. Fleeces must be picked up onsite, or must pre-arrange mail/ship return with Sherri Hayes. Return cost will be at the producer’s expense if fleece does not sell.
- Fleece Presentation: A fleece for sale must be presented just as one for show, i.e.:
- For Wool and Mohair – From the current (2015-2016) clip and represent no more than fifteen months of growth.
- For Alpaca – From the current (2015-2016) clip AND the previous year (2015-2014) clip. Regardless of year, Alpaca Fleece should represent no more than fifteen months of growth.
- Unwashed. NO WASHED FLEECES WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Properly skirted for processing: free of Vegetable matter, chaff, burrs, bugs, manure tags, and second cuts, and pests. We reserve the right to reject any fleece deemed unusable for processing as presented.
- Should be neatly placed as for show – not tied – in a clear or white plastic bag that is neither too large, nor too small to contain it comfortably.
- Alpaca Fleece may include corresponding Seconds, but should be bagged separately inside the regular fleece sale. Seconds only fleece will not be accepted.
- Fleece Acceptance: The Fleece Sale Manager reserves the right to pull from the Show or Sale any fleeces with rot, breaks, pests, felting or other serious problems at any time during the show. We also reserve the right to arrange, group, and re-class fleece as appropriate and necessary. We also reserve the right to notate sales tag for any discovered observations and outright pull any fleece from the show for any reason without refund.
- Fleece Promotion: Entrants may place promotional materials in with fleece, and are encouraged to do so. See FAQ’s for more information.
- Price Changes: Prices may be changed at the Producer’s discretion. See front desk for a Price Change Form. We do not encourage price increases once show has begun. On-Site changes can be made at the time of drop off without form.
- Show/Sale Fleece Pick Up: Entrants must pick up unsold fleeces by 5:00 pm on Sunday October 30, 2016. Unsold fleece can be picked up during the show at any time. Please see Fleece Show Staff for check out.
- Fleece NOT picked up: Any fleece not claimed by 5:00 pm, Sunday, October 30 will become the property of SAFF.
- Responsibility: SAFF is ultimately not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged fleeces.
- Refunds: All registration correction refunds of entry fee will be done after the show, during reconciliation of sales.
- Sale Proceeds: Entrants will receive a check via mail for their fleece sales within 30 days of SAFF. Please make sure we have your complete contact information.